Páginas

Internship - Day 1

Today was the very first day of the 11th grade's Internship program. Each students goes to his or her respective place of internship to begin working for the first time. For Jaleh Najmi and I, though, this will be our 3rd month at our internship thus far.

Today was my very first double shift, from 7am to 3pm; each shift is normally 4 hours at a time. Though it began as any other previous shift I've served, it soon became quite an eventful day. The RN's or CNA's have never called upon me to take patients' vitals signs, though I have been trained to do so. Today I was assigned to take vitals for about half the patients on my floor. These vitals include blood pressure, temperature, Oxygen saturation, pulse, and respiration. It was very enjoyable to test several patients for these diagnostics, and it provided me with a sense of fulfillment in what I do.
The main event of the day, though, was in the morning at about 9:30am. As comprehensive and superb as Palomar's health care service is, patients do inevitably pass away. This was the case for one patient that morning, and 3 of us CCE's were privileged to assist the nurse in the body-bagging process. The group composed of the patient's nurse, a CCE level I (college), Jaleh, and myself. It was definitely a fortuitous moment, for it's a job that's not often done.
It's always a great feeling to assist a patient, even in the most minimal ways. There's a hidden type of gratitude that radiates from a thankful patient, who's in a very vulnerable state. I had a patient who required excessive cleaning and frequent bed changes, for his linens were often soiled. Once you clean up a person's bodily excretions, you feel that intangible gratitude; that the patient trusts and likes you.

"What are you excited about learning through this internship experience?"
My future ambition is to someday become a physician, and I tentatively dream to become an anesthesiologist. Though that's very far in the future, I really hope to begin experiencing what the health care industry is like. I'm excited to learn about the different responsibilities each person has in terms of a patient's care. I'm intrigued by the many different people that contribute to any single patient. I'm also ultimately interested in basic knowledge of diseases, illnesses, medications, human anatomy, etc. It would make a great basis for me to learn from.

3 comments:

nolan.posted.this said...

Hello John,

It sounds like you had a good experience on your first day. I would almost go as far as to say that you had as much fun at your internship as you would at Tastea. Your work sounds very complicated, yet you are able to easily complete it. That is great. I would feel very safe if I had to go to the hospital and you were there in shiny scrubs. I hope you have fun and take away a lot from the experience :>

Donel said...

Dude,
Three months is a long time, congrats. I'm I could totally see you becoming a physician. The body-bagging thing threw me off guard, that sounds intense. Have fun the rest of the way.

WallaceD said...

Wow, you seem to really know what you would like to do in your future, congrats, most people are still soul searching. You seem like you're having a good and enlightening experience, so keep it up and take as much away from it as you can.

Etiquetas