Páginas

Internship - New Rotation, New Department

Today is the beginning of the new CCE rotation, where we all move to a new department, and brand new CCEs arrive to their first shift. My first rotation began on March, and ended yesterday on May 31st. I will be leaving Tower 7: Oncology, and moving to Tower 9: Acute Rehabilitation. My previous floor is where most first timer CCEs go, as it was in my case. This morning, I visited my old floor to see my old home, happily greeted by the nurses and CNA's that I worked with for so long; it was a great feeling. I ran into a level II CCE on her first shift. I was delighted that the nurses asked me to "show her the ropes" and get her accustomed to the various routines of the floor. I showed her that each room's whiteboard needed to have the name and extensions of the Nurse, CNA, and Charge Nurse. I showed her where each and everything we'd need for the floor was located. I taught her how to make a bed, how to make rounds, take vitals, etc. etc. It was a very invigorating feeling teaching another so many of the things you learn the hard way. In retrospect, I'd really enjoy trying another rotation on Tower 7, simply for that reason. But then again, I still have yet to give Tower 9 a chance, and I look forward to seeing the different things I'll experience there.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's neat that you can make such close friendships and connections on that level in a place like the hospital. Reading your other post, I was amazed that the nurses are comfortable enough even to ask you for help. Sounds like you are having a nice time. - Melissa

E. Ramirez said...

Wow! In your line of work its awesome how nurses find that comfort to ask you such questions and to take tips from an intern (correct me if I have your title wrong)! What motivates you everyday to go and work at the hospital? Are there any challenges your have overcome quicker then maybe other interns? What incident or future events are you looking forward to while being on site?

E. Ramirez

Autumn Boatner said...

John Torres!
You have to have ridiculous motivation to be doing what you do, that and passion. 14 hour shifts? wow. Hey, I know it's a real life experience of a doctor at least.
It sounds like Grey's Anatomy with all of the departments. I look forward to hearing the update of how it's been for you, and are you getting to go to a new department before the end of internship?

Etiquetas